Where is the programme based?

We are headquartered at Hooke Park - the Architectural Association’s satellite woodland campus for architectural research. Students of the Design + Make programme inhabit an environment that combines, forest, studio, workshop and building site.

What interaction do D+M students have with AA London?

The first few weeks of the programme you will be based in London – establishing a strong relationship with the Bedford Square campus, its facilities, staff and students. Spending the majority of our time embedded in Hooke Park, we travel to Bedford Square for juries, lectures, and other events. Visiting units/programmes from London travel to Hooke throughout the year offering the chance to engage with a range of students and tutors.

Who is the MArch course for?

The MArch course is aimed at architectural graduates and practitioners who want to develop their practice through a direct engagement with the design and fabrication of experimental architectural constructs. For the MArch, a minimum 5-year professional degree in architecture (RIBA Pt 2/ Diploma equivalent is required).

Who is the MSc course for?

The MSc course is aimed at those from architecture, engineering or other design related backgrounds who want to develop expertise in experimental design and fabrication - developing in-depth knowledge of timber design and fabrication technologies. A minimum 3-year degree in architecture, engineering, art or other related subjects.

How do I apply?

Applications are made to the AA Graduate School through our online application form. Guidance and full information on the process is described here.

Does the MArch programme offer RIBA Part-2 qualification?

No, the MArch is a post-professional course (equivalent to MArch2 in the US). To study for RIBA Part 2 at the AA you will need to apply to the Diploma programme.

What software should I be familiar with?

Term 1’s Induction Studio introduces the fundamental skillset required for both courses, and so existing knowledge of various software while advantageous is not required. We operate in a broad range of packages - varying each year in response to the specific needs of our projects. This typically includes: Rhino; Grasshopper; AutoCad; Adobe CS; CADCAM packages; and various 3D scanning tools.

What technology should I bring with me?

Students will require a personal laptop throughout the programme - while shared desktop computers are available in the studio for heavier work and specialist software. Hooke Park has photography equipment available to students though we encourage you to bring your own digital cameras capable of capturing video if you have them to ensure important moments are not missed.

Where do students live?

We spend a week in London for which students are responsible for finding their own accommodation Students are able to rent accommodation at Juniper barns - in Hooke Village a short walk from the Hooke Park campus Or to find their own accommodation locally.

How do students get around?

The accommodation in Hooke Village is within walking distance and a driving licence is not required but as Hooke Park is remote with little public transport a driving licence is recommended. There are two small cars available for students to borrow to shop for groceries but students are encouraged to source there own vehicles for getting around, often students will buy a second hand car locally and sell it on when they leave.

Will I need to pay for materials?

Students py for their own model making materials and for some materials as part of the introductory studios in term 1. During the Main Project, construction materials are provided.

Is it possible to work at Hooke Park to support my studies?

There are a limited number of student assistant jobs available at Hooke - for a few hours per week each.